The Most common crimes in Brookside are thefts from cars and burglaries. Residents are urged to set their alarms, let your neighbors know if you will be away, trim bushes around your house, don’t leave items visible in your car and be sure to lock your car.
Our Senior Lead Officer is Habel Rodreguez. Click here to view crimes reported in our area within the past 3 weeks. You can sign up for weekly email crime updates here. If you are aware of a crime that happened in brookside, please let us know about it using this link.
Useful police phone numbers
9-1-1 For emergencies which could result in injury or death.
1-877-ASK-LAPD Non-Emergency (noise complaint, vandalism, neighbor dispute, etc…)
213-473-3231 Graffiti Removal
Click here for the complete Wilshire Division Phone directory
Burglary Prevention Tips
- Make your Home Look Lived in Even when you’re not there
- ENSURE YOUR ALARMS ARE SET EVEN IF GOING AWAY FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME
- Know your neighbors and talk with them often
- If you do not have a reliable security company, have a trusted neighbor pick up your mail and newspapers.
- Arrange for gardeners to continue to mow your lawn if you’re gone for an extended period.
- Ask a neighbor to park a car in your driveway while you’re gone.
- USE TIMED SWITCHES OR SMALL DIGITAL TIMERS on your lights, TV and stereo. Look for timers that turn on and off randomly, rather than on a set schedule.
Note; During a pretext visit, skilled burglars may pass by home just after dark and into the evening to ascertain if anyone is home
- Don’t broadcast your absence on a note taped to your door or by announcing it on your telephone answering machine.
- Turn your telephone ringer down or off. This way a burglar is less likely to hear the ringing of unanswered calls and realize no one is home.
The most effective measure for combating graffiti is to remove graffiti immediately. The tagger’s main motivation is to be able to see their handiwork. Painting over the graffiti as soon as it’s noticed minimizes the appeal for tagging in our neighborhood. The city will come out and remove graffiti for free by calling 213-473-3231. You do NOT have to be the property owner to call in a removal. They will also come out for tags on poles, electrical boxes etc.